If a person meets the criteria, they must be offered a deferral of payment by the local authority. Money due on the payment deferral, including interest and administrative fees, must be reimbursed if the house is sold or if your parent leaves the retirement home. In the event of death, the executor is responsible for reimbursing the amount due. If the person has terminated the contract because it has been withdrawn from their home, it is not possible to make further deferred payments against the property and the property should not be considered as part of a new financial assessment. The person remains responsible for the deferred payments to date and interest continues to be due until the account is paid. As a general rule, you can only apply for a payment deferral if your parent has spent 12 weeks or more in a residence. .